Got a sad looking carved pumpkin knocking around the house? Don’t waste it; savour the tasty spooky sphere of sweetness by making this delicious and healthy autumnal bake.
Sweet roasted pumpkin and iron-rich cooked spinach leaves contrast each other delightfully in this one pot dish. The bake is bound together with healthy low fat sour cream and egg, and feta cheese brings a salty richness. A scattering of pistachios on top adds a crunchy texture.
- 400g pumpkin, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 350g frozen spinach
- 75g feta
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp low fat sour cream
- Salt and pepper to season
- A handful of peeled pistachios
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40-50 minutes
- Put the oven on to gas mark 6.
- Place the pumpkin in a baking dish and pour the olive oil all over. Sprinkle the sage on top and toss gently so the oil and herbs are evenly distributed across the pumpkin cubes. Pop the pumpkin in the oven for 25 minutes, checking on it half way through cooking and turning it over so it cooks evenly.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach in a bowl and cover with a plate. Cook in the microwave for about five minutes, stirring half way through. Drain it in a sieve and press a tablespoon on to it to squeeze out the excess water.
- Put the sour cream in a mixing bowl and crack in the egg. Use a hand whisk to beat the cream and egg together, and then add in the spinach. Stir everything together well and then crumble in the feta. Season well and give it all good stir.
- When the pumpkin is ready, take it out of the oven and transfer it to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients, being careful when you do so as it’ll be very hot.
- Mix all of the ingredients in together and transfer them to a baking dish. Reduce the oven heat to gas mark 3 and pop in the oven for 30 minutes. The eggy mixture surrounding the spinach should be close to being set.
- Take the bake out of the oven and scatter over the shelled pistachios. Serve immediately with a simple side salad.
This recipe was inspired by the Leon Fast Vegetarian’s Baked Spinach, Squash and Blue Cheese.