Vegetable chilli is a great mid-week meal; it’s healthy and versatile, giving you the chance to tick off a number of your five-a-day in one pop. And, it’s flavoursome and quick to make.
I got an email from Sainsbury’s magazine this afternoon, advertising their veggie chilli recipe so I decided to base my concoction on that. However, there’s one obvious fault with their recipe: it’s got no chilli in it! Absurd, surely?
It’s quite rare that I’d go out of my way in the week to buy extra ingredients especially for a dish. I will generally match what’s in the fridge and cupboards and try and create something tasty. Wasting food is one of my pet hates. Hence this slightly left field dish.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 peppers (I used 1 orange and 1 yellow), chopped roughly into squares
- 1 medium aubergine, cut into small cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 200g green lentils
- a squirt of tomato puree
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- a large sprinkle of chilli flakes
- 0.5 tsp ground cumin
- 100ml water
- pepper to taste
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Suggested sides: basmatic rice and a corn cobette on the side
1. Put a large frying pan on a medium to high heat and pour in the olive oil. Wait for it heat up: pick the pan up and if it swirls around easily, it’s ready.
2. Add the onion and peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes, until they begin to soften.
3. Pop the aubergine into the pan and sprinkle the salt and pepper over it. Cook for 5 minutes, mixing frequently, until the aubergine is tender.
4. Add the garlic and spices and lower the heat slightly. Combine thoroughly with the vegetable mixture.
5. Pour in the tomatoes, tomato puree and lentils, and stir. Turn the heat up and add in the water. Bring to the boil, stirring often. Simmer the chilli gently for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, cook the rice and the corn cobette.
7. When the chilli has thickened, season it to taste and serve with the rice, sweetcorn and some guacamole or sour cream.
Recipe to follow for my home made citrus guacamole…